Monday, May 20, 2019

Traditional Chinese Medicine is not Western Medicine!



One of the most difficult things I find when treating a dog is trying to convey to the owner and sometimes veterinarians that where I place the acupuncture needles is based on a traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) diagnosis and not a western one.



When treating a dog it is important to know the western diagnosis. Does the dog have hip dysplasia, arthritis, etc? Where is the pain? What medication is it on and any other symptoms that can help me determine what is the best treatment for the dog.

Before I even schedule a new patient, I have the owner fill out a health history form and do a phone consultation by phone to get as much information as possible. And all new patients must have a signed consent from their veterinarian before I can treat them.

The first session I ask a variety of questions to help me determine from a TCM perspective what the diagnosis is. We think in terms of energy. Is the dog hot or cold? Yin or Yang? Deficient or excess? Stagnation? Damp? Fearful? Worry? Excess smells? Oozing? We speak in a different language. Is the dog liver qi stagnant? Does he have speen qi deficiency/ Bi syndrome? Kidney Yin or Yang xu? Xue xu? None of this makes sense to anyone who has not gone to acupuncture school and that is OK. (I am pretty sure the dog understands it all!)

I also palpate the dog to feel for points that are deficient or excess, look at its tongue, watch its behavior and other things that are not part of a regular vet visit. Then I decide what points to needle. Many owners will expect me to needle where the dog has pain or according to it's western diagnosis. And usually I do not. For instance, if the dog has a hip problem and there is pain there- I may needle the opposite elbow instead. Sounds crazy - but in TCM, you can treat the opposite limb to move pain. It is confusing I know for owners to watch but after a few sessions when the dog is improving they understand a bit more.



There are over 365 acupuncture points on the body that we learn in school. (Most probably there are about 2,000 points on the body, ears and head.)
Each point has a function and are on meridians paired to each organ. Some move stuck energy that causes pain. Others tonify the energy. It is a balancing act. And with dogs it is best not to needle where there is pain. They will never allow you to needle them again.... and you may get bit! Treating dogs has made me think outside the box when coming up with an acupuncture point protocol. I also use a laser to stimulate points that I can't needle, along with acupressure, tui na and sometimes Reiki. (Great article here on acupuncture.)


The point functions and locations are the same on animals and people. Of course a human would need to be in the downward facing dog yoga position!

I also believe that it is not just acupuncture that is going to help a patient - animal or human. So giving the owner a list of supplements, herbal or homeopathic remedies to help the dog as well as a mini-lesson on how to do some acupressure at home helps the speed the recovery process. Diet is also an important factor. 

To learn more about this combination of holistic practices, I have created an online class for dog owners. 
www.udemy.com/holistic-dog-treating-k9-pain-stress-ailments-naturally/

Licensed acupuncturists have at least 4 - 5 years of grad school and internship before taking boards to get licensed. Some states require a state board as well as national boards. Since I lived in California at the time I went to Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, I took the CA boards and national boards. California has the hardest requirements for acupuncturists. The board had several parts when I took it. Written TCM theory. A practical which was identifying raw herbs and formulas with a written herbal exam. A practical point location exam. Written western and anatomy. And the clean needle technique exam. Lots of money. Several weekends. And I hope NEVER to do it again! 

Learn more about Four Paws Acupuncture and our services at http://www.fourpawsacupuncture.com

🩼ACHY💔BREAKY BONES🌿👢BOOT CAMP TIPS 4 PAIN RELIEF🫣SAFE REMEDIES🌿THERAPIES & WOoOieWOoie 🦄& GRATITUDE🙏

  🩼ACHY💔BREAKY BONES🌿👢BOOT CAMP TIPS 4 PAIN RELIEF🫣SAFE REMEDIES🌿THERAPIES & WOoOieWOoie 🦄& GRATITUDE🙏 https://youtu.be/nqGF...